November 20, 2019
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL
Hockey NL, in partnership with Hockey Canada and the Hockey Canada Foundation, will be hosting the 2020 Global Girls’ Game in co-operation with the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF). Presented by BFL Canada, the Canadian segment of the IIHF Global Girls’ Game will take place in St. John’s, NL, 3:00pm NST on Saturday February 8th, 2020 at the Mile One Centre.
The weekend event will also include a number of off-ice festivities that will be built on fun and comradery and will expose participants to NL culture. Successful applicants will arrive on Friday February 7, 2020 and return home on Sunday February 9, 2020.
Debbie Bouzane from Gander, is the Chair of Female Hockey for the provincial hockey association and she believes that hosting this event will grow the Female game in NL. “We are very excited to be the host for this prestigious event and are eagerly awaiting the opportunity to celebrate and promote the female game globally in February”, remarked Bouzane. “This will be a fun filled weekend of making friendships, inspiring future female ambassadors and enjoying the experience of playing for Team Canada on the international stage”.
Hockey NL currently has more than 2000 registered female participants and 120 teams within the province and has had a steady growth in the female game in the last five years.
GLOBAL GAME PHILOSPHY
- Unites Female Hockey players throughout the world as teammates.
- Focus on the perspective of sport and hockey
- We are working together to grow the game of female hockey – numbers and credibility
- We are all working together to create stronger people and lives through sport
- The success of female hockey is a true example of what this world could accomplish – in sport, we achieved the impossible dream – Olympic acceptance for Female Hockey.
- Putting aside boundaries, we gain through positive values and sport
PURPOSE OF EVENT
- The IIHF Global Girls’ Game originated in 2015. This unique event was created to unite federations around the world by having players from around the globe all playing for the same team. In Canada, we have developed this event to involve players from all Member to create a complete Canadian leg of the Global Game. Players chosen for this event exemplify positive attitudes, teamwork and leadership that reflect the philosophy of the Global Girls’ Game and hockey in Canada. having two teams with players from all countries playing on each team, it truly brings cooperation and competition together
PLAYER SELECTION CRITERIA
- We do encourage a focus on positive values and good citizenship in the selection process as it meets the goals of the activity and the positive messaging for Female Hockey world-wide.
- Registered participants should currently be playing in the Bantam Division at the AA category or lower. AAA Bantam players are not eligible.
- 2 teams of 20 players for a total of 40 players (12 forwards, 6 defence and 2 goaltenders per team).
- Six players from Ontario Women’s Hockey Association and two players per member branch.
- Hockey NL will select an additional fourteen players for a total of sixteen players from around the province of Newfoundland and Labrador and will fill other spots as needed.
- Players will be mixed geographically with the goal of creating similar caliber and a mix of girls form various parts of Canada.
- Team Staff will be 1 Head Coach, 2 Assistant Coaches, 1 Trainer/Therapist and 1 Manager. All will be qualified and screened females.
- Teams will be monitored based on a quota of 1 screened adult to 5 players. If team staff are not available at times, Hockey NL will ensure these roles are covered. Team staff will be briefed prior to arrival of players on risk management, emergency action plan and logistics.
- Female on ice-officials and supervisors will be supplied by Hockey NL with the 4-person system being utilized. Hockey NL will also supply off-ice officials and volunteers
Hockey NL Participants wishing to register please CLICK HERE
Please complete this application, along with a 250-300 word essay outlining the importance of Female hockey and why they should be chosen for the Global Girls Game.
Executive Director, Hockey NL
P.O. Box 176
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL