*Below is access to the new Hockey University Links
Class is in Session
Hockey University, Hockey Canada’s premiere online resource for Hockey education is available now. Looking to become a Coach, Official or Team Safety Person? Your first stop is Hockey University. This engaging, interactive online platform provides the baseline of information you need as you start on your path to rewarding new experiences, and it’s all done at your convenience wherever you access the Internet.
Hockey University programs are completed online using any PC or MAC based computer and offer the following benefits:
- No travel or entire weekends away from home to complete the training
- Effective cost management for yourself and your hockey organization
- The convenience of completing programs on your schedule
- Instant credit for program completion and recognition of your qualification applied directly to your HCR profile
- Numerous handouts and additional resources you can access and print as often as you like or need
- Post completion access to review lessons and sharpen your skills
Three programs are available through Hockey University:
- HU – IP/Coach Stream. This program addresses the core knowledge every new coach must have as they begin their coaching career. The Coaching Code of Ethics, Skills, Drills and Thrills, Dealing with Athletes, Dealing with Parents, and the Philosophy of Coaching are just some of the topics covered in this approximately 4 hour program. The HU – Community Coach program is delivered in two parts. In Part A, you complete the online program. In Part B, you lace up, step on the ice and put what you learned to work. *You must complete the online Part before registering for the in-class session! *For coaches that have completed the full IP course, you will eligible for the in-class portion coach stream and do not need to take the online portion.
- HU – Officiating 1/2. This program is the first step for all new Hockey Officials in Canada. It’s an honour wearing the Hockey Canada logo on your shoulder, and your Branch or Provincial crest on your chest, but this honour comes with responsibility. You are representing Hockey in your community and are there to help ensure a safe, respectful and fair hockey environment for everyone. The Officiating 1/2 stream of Hockey University provides the basic information every new official needs. You’ll learn everything from the Divisions of the Ice to the proper way to conduct Face-Offs, how to determine penalties and referee positioning. It’s the baseline of information you need before you ever put on the stripes. This program is completed in 2 parts. In Part A, you complete the online program. In Part B, you will spend time with a master referee for a comprehensive in class session.
- HU – Safety Stream. This program is a great introduction to team safety, injury recognition and important information for anyone who wishes to be a team Safety Person. From the Fair Play Code and Code of Ethics, to Safety at the Rink, Injury Management and the Emergency Action Plan, this 3 hour program gives you the information and confidence needed to be the go to person on your team for health, wellness, injury recognition and safe and proper recovery and return to play procedures. *Anyone who needs a re-certification must take the online portion **Once you complete online safety course you will need to re-certified yourself every 5 years.
Payment: For coaches and officials you will pay your total fee at the in-class clinic to the course facilitator.
In-class clinics: Will be posted HERE as soon as they are confirmed
Some associations have set-up for direct billing and will cover the cost for online and in class fee, please check with your association President to see if your MHA is on this list. If your association does not pay for your clinic registration, the individual will be responsible for all clinic fees.
Safety: ($28.00) Associations will be billed for anyone who takes the online safety course – Officiating:
IP – $91.00 – Coach Stream $86.00 – NCCP Coach Stream $55.00 (Participant who has completed IP including on line)
IMPORTANT: Anyone taking the online course(s) MUST get approved to do so by their Minor Association President.
Click on the below link for Hockey University to access your HCR account and start your journey as a role model and mentor to young hockey players across Canada