Hockey NL held a meeting with all their membership during the weekend in Grand Falls-Windsor to set the path for the 2012-13 Hockey Season.
A summary of the issues and decisions include:
1. The Stephenville Jr Jets were awarded the right to host the 2013 Veitch Memorial Championships (Provincial Junior Championships). The Championship will entail a three-team tournament which will include the winners of the St. John’s Junior Hockey League and Central West Junior Hockey League plus the host Jets. The date will be released in the next week.
2. Midget AAA Female Provincials will be hosted by the Lake Melville Minor Hockey Association and World Girls Hockey Day is October 13, 2012. To celebrate that day, Botwood Minor Hockey Association is hosting an all female Hockey Canada Skills Camp. The Under 12 division for female teams will hold a first ever mega provincial tournament that will feature at least 12 teams this coming March.
3. Associations were advised of the mandatory Parent Education Program for all parents of first year players. In the 2012-2013 season, a parent of new members will be required to complete a one hour parent education and awareness program on line delivered by Respect in Sport. For the 2013-2014 season, all registered minor hockey parents will be required to complete this program.
4. The 2015 Allan Cup Steering Committee approved their critical path which would expect a selection of the host site and team for the 2015 National Senior Hockey Championship early in the 2013 year. The 2013 Herder Memorial Championship will be played by the top two teams in the Newfoundland Labrador Senior Hockey League. The date will be determined once the league schedule is approved. The Avalon East League will remain B category this season, and will focus on league expansion.
5. Sites were determined for a number of AAA provincials in the upcoming season with the initial grading of teams for provincials in both minor male and female hockey being determined. The Baie Verte Minor Hockey Association will host the kick off for the 2013 Minor Hockey Week Celebrations on January 12, 2013. The theme for Minor Hockey Week this year is Believe and Achieve.
In an attempt to better develop players, all teams now participating in provincial championships will be required to have at least one coach fully certified in the Developmental 1 stream of the Hockey Canada Coach Certification Program. The branch will be developing a comprehensive training schedule to meet the demands of the membership.
For more information please contact:
P.O. Box 176
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL
(709) 489-5512 (O)
(709) 486-0442 (C)
(709) 489-2273 (F)