Under 9 Hockey & Guidelines
To build on the changes brought in at the U7 Program level with regards to the sizing of ice space, equipment and other areas for the youth hockey development structure. Hockey NL has mandated that ALL U9 hockey games beginning in the 2017/18 season, are to be played in a half-ice setup. The smaller ice surface will support more competitive, fun and overall better development for our youth hockey players. The intent of this page is to cover off areas with regards to the implementation of the half-ice program for U9 hockey.
Goals for the U9 Age Category Are:
• Reviewing of basic skills
• Refining of basic skills
The U9 Program Recommends the Following Practice Time Allotment:
• 75% Technical skills
• 15% Individual tactics
• 10% Team tactics
• 0% Team play
• 0% Strategy
- Hockey Canada Initiation Program Promotional Video
- Dr. Stephen Norris Grassroots Presentation: Sport scientist Dr. Stephen Norris presented to the HNL membership at the 2016 fall meetings. Dr. Norris, presented on the proper development in grassroots programming for young hockey players/athletes. In this video link Dr. Norris presents to Hockey Manitoba with that familiar message. This is a must watch for all those involved in Minor Hockey – Enjoy!
- Video Tom Renney (Hockey Canada CEO)
- Video Paul Carson (Hockey Canada, Senior Director Development)
- Video Corey McNabb (Hockey Canada, Director of Player Development)
- Under 8 Small Area Game Promotional Video – Video created by USA hockey to show the benefits of smaller area development for young hockey players.
- Child Perspective Video – Put yourself in the young players shoes and see what they see!