- Under 18 Major Hockey League Begins Play (10/22/2020)
For immediate Release
October 22, 2020
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL- Hockey NL announced today, the Newfoundland Labrador Under-18 Major Hockey League (formerly known as Newfoundland Labrador Major Midget Hockey League) has been provided the approval to return beginning this coming weekend.
The League received permission from provincial Public Health to allow teams to proceed with inter-regional competition in three regional health authority boundaries this hockey season.
Hockey NL, in partnership with the Newfoundland Labrador Under-18 Major Hockey League have worked diligently with Public Health over the last few months to build a safe return to hockey plan.
There are five teams in the Major Hockey League, namely, East Coast Blizzard, Pinnacle Growlers, Tri Pen Osprey, Central Impact and Western Kings. The teams cautiously began their return to hockey plans in August of this year going through the first three phases of the Hockey NL Return to Hockey Guidelines. The teams have followed all requirements and will be entering phase four this weekend; returning to a new normal of play.
The league will continue with games following Public Health Directives and complying with Sport Guidance and Arena Operation Guidance.
Approval was granted after careful consideration by Public Health, given the Major Hockey League is the only true provincial travel league, among all provincial sport organizations. The league has instituted strict public health protocols. Only two teams will be playing in the venue on a given time and off-ice interactions between teams are not permitted.
This provincial league features the top 15-17 year old players in the province and approval of the Major Hockey League to proceed will allow players to develop and compete this season, while advancing their future opportunities in the game.
Hockey NL continues to collaborate with other leagues and member associations to ensure all stakeholders have the chance to return to hockey safely this season. Hockey NL has made some changes in programming to provide the best opportunities available for all divisions/categories while following guidelines and directives from all levels.
For more information on the Newfoundland Labrador U-18 Major Hockey League
For more information on the Hockey NL’s Return to Hockey.
Executive Director, Hockey NL
P.O. Box 176
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL
- INTRODUCING THE $1 MILLION HOCKEY CANADA FOUNDATION ASSIST FUND (10/19/2020)
- Passing of the Late Bill Strickland (10/16/2020)
- HOCKEY NL ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING HELD LAST WEEKEND (10/16/2020)
- Congratulations to Robert Bouzane, Ron Downey, Gary Gale & Lynette Hiscock on Receiving their Gold Stick Pin (10/6/2020)
- Hockey NL Announced Induction of Life Member During the Annual General Meeting (10/6/2020)
- AAA Female Program for 2020-2021: Coach Applications and Player Registration (10/6/2020)
- HOCKEY CANADA COMMUNITY, PRESENTED BY SCOTIABANK, LAUNCHED FOR 2020-21 SEASON (9/22/2020)
- Hockey Equipment Relief Program (9/22/2020)
- Passing of the Late James “Jim” Hayward (9/4/2020)
- Hockey NL Annual General Meeting Agendas Released (9/4/2020)
- NL U18 Major Hockey League Seeking Expressions of Interest for the Position of League Administrator (8/25/2020)
- AVALON MINOR HOCKEY ASSOCIATION – Power Play 50/50 (8/20/2020)
- George Hawkins Arena, Twillingate, NL Chosen as a Top 4 Finalist for the Title of Kraft Hockeyville 2020 (8/6/2020)
- Congratulations to Rob Canning, Ron Healey Memorial Award 2019-2020 (8/1/2020)
- Congratulations to Todd Andrews, Central Minor Meritorious Award 2019-2020 (7/31/2020)
- HOCKEY NL ANNOUNCES THE NAMES OF TEN NEW MEMBERS WHO WILL ENTER THE PROVINCIAL HOCKEY HALL OF FAME (7/31/2020)
- Congratulations to Karen Bursey, Eastern Minor Meritorious Award 2019-2020 (7/28/2020)
- Congratulations to Dean Whelan, Tripen Minor Meritorious Award 2019-2020 (7/26/2020)
- Congratulations to Roxanne Decker, Western Minor Meritorious Award 2019-2020 (7/23/2020)
- Congratulations to the Deer Lake Minor Hockey Association, Association of the Year 2019-2020 (7/21/2020)