HOCKEY OPPROTUNITY FOR BANTAM FEMALE HOCKEY PLAYERS APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR 2019 IIHF GLOBAL GIRLS’ GAME IN ALBERTA
Hockey NL is now accepting applications from players hoping to represent the province/branch at the 2019 Global Girls’ Game in Calgary, Alberta.
On February 16, Hockey Alberta will host the Canadian component of the 2019 IIHF Global Girls’ Game in partnership with Hockey Canada and the International Ice Hockey Federation. The Global Girls’ Game is a worldwide celebration of female hockey and they are inviting two players from each Hockey Canada branch to be a part of the event. Hockey NL has been granted 2 spots for the event (2 forward positions) eligible NL players are from the Bantam Female House League division(s).
The Canadian segment of the Global Girls’ Game will take place on Saturday, February 16th, 2019 at the Flames Community Arena in Calgary. Two female bantam players from Newfoundland & Labrador will be selected to represent the province at the event. Please see below for the application form and more information.
SEE BELOW FOR FURTHER INFORMATION & EVENT APPLICATION
- Hockey Alberta is hosting the 2019 Global Game in cooperation with Hockey Canada.
- The Canada segment of the Global Game will take place on Saturday, February 16th, 2019 at the Flames Community Arena in Calgary, Alberta with festivities commencing at 2:00pm Mountain Time.
- The Global Game festivities will take place throughout the weekend with players arriving Friday, February 15thbetween 3pm – 5pm and depart Sunday, February 17thbetween 2pm – 5pm.
- 2 teams of 20 players for a total of 40 players (12 forwards, 6 defense and 2 goaltenders per team) will take part in the game (HNL 2 forward)
- Each Member and representative Member Partners are invited to send 2 players for a total of 24 players
- The OWHA, who represents 3 Members, will therefore provide 6 participants for this event Hockey Alberta will provide the other 16 players from around the province of Alberta and will fill other spots as needed
- Players will be mixed geographically with the goal of creating similar calibre and a mix of girls from various parts of Canada
- Team Staff and game officials will be provided by Hockey Alberta and Hockey Canada
- All participants will be under supervision from pre-screened volunteer adults throughout the event. Volunteer staff will be briefed prior to arrival of players on all safety measures required
Travel will be covered by Hockey NL including flights and hotels. An adult chaperone form Hockey NL will be travelling with the players.
Hockey Alberta will cover ground transportation for players between airport and hotel as well as to and from scheduled activities. All meals from time of arrival in Calgary on Friday (15th) evening so their departure on Sunday (17th) will be provided for the participants by Hockey Canada. Any activity costs – costs related to game, skills session, etc. Global Game, and jerseys and socks will be included.
PLAYER SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Encourage a focus on positive values and good citizenship in the selection process as it meets the goals of the activity and the positive messaging for Female Hockey world.
- Age Group – Bantam age (Players born 2004 and 2005).
- Hockey NL positions – Hockey NL has been allocated two forward positions for the game.
APPLICATION PROCESS (2 STEPS):
- Registered female players from Hockey NL born in 2004 and 2005 who play on a female team are eligible to apply (Bantam House League players).
- Two players will be selected to attend the Global Game.
- A selection committee comprised of Hockey NL volunteers will select the two players to attend the Global Game through a draw process.
- EVENT APPLICATION – Send completed application to [email protected]
- STEP 1 – Application Form
Applicants must complete and submit the application form by January 21st, 2019
STEP 2 – Essay
Applicants must also submit along with their application form a one-page essay (250-300 words) by January 21st, 2019 outlining to the selection committee why you are a deserving individual and should be selected to represent Hockey NL at the 2019 Global Game.