Kelly New President and Association’s Membership Ratifies New By-Laws
June 13, 2021
For Immediate Release
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL- Hockey NL concluded their Annual General Meeting this weekend.
Arnold Kelly, from Goose Bay, NL was elected the new President and is taking over from Jack Lee, from Goulds, NL. Lee served the role for the last ten years. Kelly is coming from the Minor division as he was the Chair for Minor Hockey in the province for the last ten years.
The membership approved a new full set of By-Laws that will govern the association moving forward. The new By-Laws reduced the number on the Board from its current thirty-two down to eleven. It also provides authority to the membership to amend the By-Laws and elect all the Directors. The four divisions – Minor, Female, Junior and Senior will now have additional autonomy assigned to their respective Council Executive Committee.
Hockey NL held their election for nine of the eleven new Board positions. The election of two new positions of Director at Large and Treasurer will be determined in the coming month.
Hockey NL Board 2021-2023
- Arnold Kelly, Goose Bay– President
- Jared Butler, Grand Falls-Windsor – Vice President
- Tracey Hatcher, St. John’s – Chair, Female
- Gary Gale, Hampden – Chair, Senior
- Charlie Kearsey, St. John’s – Chair, Junior
- Gonzo Bennett, Mount Pearl – Chair, Minor
- Ken Chafe, Goulds – Hockey Development Chair
- Ed Flood, Corner Brook – Referee-in-Chief
- Jack Lee, Gould’s – Past President
The provincial sport organization also presented their 2021 Annual Award Winners:
- J. McCarthy Senior Award–Gary Gale
- Junior Meritorious Award – Brian Hurley
- Female Promotional Award – Shawn Prendergast
- Ron Healey Memorial Award – Chris Bishop
- Joe Byrne Development Award – Charlie Quick
- Ray Bowe Award of Merit – Kevin Heffernan
- Gold Stick Award – Ed O’Brien
- Brian Wakelin Minor Executive Award – Greg Barton
- Central Minor Merit Award – Dean Ralph
- Norther Minor Merit Award – Arnold Kelly
- Eastern Minor Merit Award – Aiden Craig
- Western Minor Merit Award – Tracy Genge
- Tri Pen Minor Merit Award – Lynn Downey
- Minor Association of the Year – Channel Port Aux Basques
- Jack Lee was presented with his President Ring
The following scholarships were also announced at our Annual Awards Banquet:
- 2021 Minor Hockey Scholarships: Noah Bruce, Clarenville Area Minor Hockey Association and Jacob Griffin, Cee Bees Minor Hockey Association
- 2021 Jim Stirling / B.F. Lorenzetti Scholarship: Jenna Dooley, Grand Falls-Windsor
More information on some of the other reports during the AGM will be released tomorrow.
For more information, please contact