September 7, 2013
Immediate Media Release
Hockey NL, the governing body for hockey in the province, hosted a meeting with all their membership during the weekend in Gander to plan their upcoming season.
A summary of the issues and decisions include:
1. The Minor Hockey delegates approved changes in the ice time allocation policy in attempt to address the problems with coaches not providing fair ice time to all players.
2. Female delegates announced details of a great camp delivered by National Women’s team player, Caroline Ouellette, open to females ages nine to seventeen on September 19-21, 2014.
3. Minor Hockey Council increased the number of Provincial Championship Mega Tournaments from three to five for the upcoming season.
4. The Labrador West Minor Hockey Association will host the kick off for the 2015 Grant Thornton Minor Hockey Week Celebration on Saturday January 17, 2015. The theme for Minor Hockey Week this year is The Bigger you dream, the Bigger your play.
5. The dates were set for the AAA Pee Wee and AAA Bantam provincial championships. The AAA Pee Wee will be held March 6-8, 2015 and the AAA Bantam Irving Oil Championship will be held March 13-15, 2015. The location for the events will be announced in the coming weeks. The World’s Finest AAA Midget provincial championship will be held in eastern on February 27-March 1, 2015.
6. There are currently two senior leagues approved for the upcoming season, The Central West League and the Avalon East League. Senior Hockey delegates also adopted an abusive fan policy to assist officials and rink staff in addressing inappropriate behavior.
7. The branch coach facilitators were trained in the new coach certification program which is now focused on making ethical decisions for coaches at the Developmental 1 level.
8. The branch and the minor hockey delegates received a report on the number of rinks and the population census in the province, to assist in the future
structure of minor hockey in the province and the development of association requirements to better serve the membership.
9. The Drillbook.com an online coaching/managing resource for coaches at any level was introduced to both Minor and Female councils. For more information visit www.thedrillbook.com
For more information please contact:
P.O. Box 176
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL
(709) 489-5512 (O)
(709) 486-0442 (C)