Alfie Hiscock

Date of Birth: 1941
Place of Birth: Grand Falls, NL
Inducted: 2005 (Player Category)

A fine skating, free wheeling left winger with a great puck sense, Alfie Hiscock of Grand Falls enjoyed an extremely rewarding 14-year hockey career highlighted by being a member of four teams that won the provincial senior hockey championship and the Herder Memorial Trophy four times. While establishing himself as one of the better goal scorers in the history of Newfoundland and Labrador hockey, he continuously demonstrated his great value to any team of which he was a member.

During the early 1950’s he was a standout prospect within Grand Falls minor and school hockey and his impressive skill and talent was such that he moved quickly and easily into junior and senior provincial competition. Despite his relatively small stature, his keen knowledge of hockey and his constant determination to play the sport extremely well allowed him to perform equally on a personal basis with the best players of his era.

Alfie Hiscock’s first Herder came in 1958 as a member of the Grand Falls Andcos who won the finals four games to one over Corner Brook Royals. Despite missing some games because of a shoulder injury, he finished the five games with seven goals and four assists for 11 points. The same season, he skated with the Grand Falls Jays who lost the provincial junior title to St. John’s but over four playoff games he recorded six goals and three assists for nine points.

It is a similar scoring situation with each and every team of which he was a member. He had a second Herder with the 1959 Andcos and was among the club’s top scorers, with four goals in the second last game of the finals. He finished with nine points from five goals and four assists in five games.

He moved to the Conception Bay CeeBees for the 1960 season and racked up Herder number three. In a six game final against Grand Falls, he scored 11 goals and one assist for 12 points as he had five goals in one game and four in another. His fourth Herder season came with the same club in 1961. The CeeBees took the finals in four straight games over Gander. He scored seven goals and added seven assists for 14 points.

Alfie Hiscock stayed with the CeeBees in 1962 and joined the St. John’s Capitals in 1963 and 1964. He continued to earn a spot among hockey top goal scorers and posted more than his share of assists thanks to his quick, accurate passing skill and his ability to be in the right place on the ice even when he didn’t have the puck. Over his provincial playoff career he had nine two-goal games, seven three-goal games, six four-goal games, and one five-goal game.

His exceptional career was somewhat curtailed by a shoulder injury and a foot injury but he remained a dangerous opponent until his final 1967 season. Rather soft spoken and a tremendous sportsman in all his hockey activities, Alfie Hiscock exerted a very beneficial influence on provincial hockey especially with his gentlemanly conduct both on and off the ice. He was a real credit to his sport.